A sudden stroke attack can affect your body and health differently. It can have a severe impact on the emotional, physical and social aspects of your life. It is essential to make necessary changes in your lifestyle for preventing future strokes. Hence, it becomes important to opt for an optimal rehabilitation program, especially post-stroke.
Rehabilitation becomes vital for a stroke-affected patient as it helps them live independently. Post-stroke rehabilitation therapy must entail an active approach which helps you in adjusting to new limitations and other health conditions. Here are some crucial pointers you need to remember about the intensive therapy –
• Cognitive Function – Behavioral aspects like cognitive and sensory-motor of the patient that aid in enhancing your motor-activity will be taken into consideration. Psychological evaluation is required for assessing emotional adjustment, after suffering from stroke. Offering integrated treatment for correcting communication disorders like listening, speaking, comprehension and writing is essential.
• Physical Movement – It is imperative for rehab-specialized doctors to strengthen the motor skills of stroke-affected patients. This includes exercise routines which enhance muscle coordination and strength. Mobility training is a fundamental part of therapy as it focuses on the usage of walking aids like canes and walkers. Such equipment supports your body weight so that you can walk easily.
• Technology-Assisted Activities – Robotic devices are becoming popular in rehabilitation facilities. With such advanced aids, performing daily activities involving repetitive motions become hassle-free. It further aids in improving motor skills and provides strength to weakened muscles. Several computer-based therapy programs include video-games which make hand or leg movement easier for patients.
There are several therapeutic programs which strengthen your range-of-motion. Such treatments effectively diminish spasticity or muscle tension. Post-stroke rehabilitation should begin early as it enables swift restoring of lost skills and abilities. For stroke survivors, it is crucial for them to also implement certain immediate lifestyle changes which are as follows –
1. Reducing alcohol intake
2. Quitting smoking
3. Consuming a healthy, low-fat diet
4. Maintaining a daily workout regime
Setting realistic and long-term recovery goals should be the prime responsibility of rehab specialists. Prescribing appropriate medication, assigning the correct assistive aids to stroke patients and providing them with a comprehensive exercise routine is essential for the specialized caregivers at ApoKos.